[Proposal] Ring-based Packaging Policies

Lars Seipel lars.seipel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 03:33:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 01:32:04PM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> === Core Packages ===
> Any package that is provided on a release-blocking medium (which at
> present includes Fedora Atomic, Fedora Cloud, Fedora Server, Fedora
> Workstation, the KDE Spin and several ARM images) must comply exactly
> with the packaging guidelines as they are written today.
[...]
> === Ring Packages ===
> Any new package that is *not* going to be part of the install media set
> is required to pass a lighter review and is permitted to carry bundled
> libraries, with caveats to be listed below.

What would be the place for higher-quality packages that aren't on any
install media (and are also not required to create those)? I think a
broad collection of reviewed and guideline-conforming packages is a
useful thing to have. Just mixing them together in a single repo with
the lower-quality stuff would diminish their value in significant ways.