[Proposal] Ring-based Packaging Policies

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sat Feb 21 19:20:40 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 04:33:41AM +0100, Lars Seipel wrote:
> > Any new package that is *not* going to be part of the install media set
> > is required to pass a lighter review and is permitted to carry bundled
> > libraries, with caveats to be listed below.
> What would be the place for higher-quality packages that aren't on any
> install media (and are also not required to create those)? I think a
> broad collection of reviewed and guideline-conforming packages is a
> useful thing to have. Just mixing them together in a single repo with
> the lower-quality stuff would diminish their value in significant ways.

Yeah, in my original rings proposal, I had something called Fedora
Commons to represent this. Turns out that name is probably not the
best choice, as it is used by the _other_ Fedora, the digital archiving
system, so maybe "Fedora Collection" or something. Stephen's proposal
doesn't have anything like that. I agree it's a good idea, but on the
other hand I don't want to hold off experimenting with ideas until we
have an absolutely perfect plan.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>