Idea: Apache configuration snippets

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Feb 22 17:28:03 UTC 2015

Am 22.02.2015 um 18:17 schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Sat, 2015-02-21 at 22:21 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>
>> would it make sense to provide these in some common package as
>> 'snippets' that could be included into configuration files? Then we
>> could have something like:
>>
>> <Directory /usr/share/owncloud/>
>>      Include auth-local.inc
>> </Directory>
>>
>> instead of schlepping the boilerplate around. And if we have any
>> more 2.2/2.4 situations in future we can handle them by changing
>> just a handful of files. And whenever EL 6 finally dies, we can drop
>> the 2.2 bits easily.
>
> In fact, if we put the snippets in the Apache package or some package
> which is tied to Apache versioning, we can drop all the <IfModule>
> stuff - Apache 2.2 packages would carry snippets that use Allow/Deny,
> Apache 2.4 packages would carry snippets that use Require. Packaged
> web apps can just include the appropriate snippet and not worry

with --enable-mods-static="version" that stuff could be way easier and
clearer including minor versions in case of changes sometimes happening
in the same major release (new TLS specific options as example)

the only reason why you can't write things like below is that you need
to wrap a <IfModule mod_version.c> around which defeats the whole purpose

<IfVersion < 2.4>
  Order deny,allow
  Deny from all
</IfVersion>