Idea: Apache configuration snippets

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Feb 22 17:50:59 UTC 2015

Am 22.02.2015 um 18:45 schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Sun, 2015-02-22 at 18:28 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 22.02.2015 um 18:17 schrieb Adam Williamson:
>>> In fact, if we put the snippets in the Apache package or some
>>> package which is tied to Apache versioning, we can drop all the
>>> <IfModule> stuff - Apache 2.2 packages would carry snippets that
>>> use Allow/Deny, Apache 2.4 packages would carry snippets that use
>>> Require. Packaged web apps can just include the appropriate
>>> snippet and not worry
>>
>> with --enable-mods-static="version" that stuff could be way easier
>> and clearer including minor versions in case of changes sometimes
>> happening in the same major release (new TLS specific options as
>> example)
>>
>> the only reason why you can't write things like below is that you
>> need to wrap a <IfModule mod_version.c> around which defeats the
>> whole purpose
>>
>> <IfVersion < 2.4>
>>    Order deny,allow
>>    Deny from all
>> </IfVersion>
>> <IfVersion >= 2.4>
>>    Require all denied
>> </IfVersion>
>
> That seems kind of a separate issue to my idea, as with my idea we
> wouldn't *need* per-app config files to include this particular
> version-dependent stuff any more

i would see it more as addition to your idea and helpful insinde the
"auth-local.inc" file itself because your idea would centralize the
configuration and mod_version would make the the central snippets better
maintainable over the long

<Directory /usr/share/owncloud/>
  Include auth-local.inc
</Directory>

> But it sounds like it might be useful for other cases, sure.
> Could you perhaps start a new thread for
> that to avoid confusing this one?

maybe this should go to bugzilla as RFE?