RFC : in-development flag for packages

Yanko Kaneti yaneti at declera.com
Mon Feb 23 14:54:44 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-02-23 at 06:35 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 18:25:59 +0200
> Yanko Kaneti <yaneti at declera.com> wrote:
>
> > This has been brewing in my head for a while so I'll just spill it
> >
> > Introduce an "in-development" flag for packages in Fedora.
> ...snip...
>
> IMHO this would just add confusion. If something is so much in
> development that nothing using it should be shipped to users in
> stable releases, perhaps copr would be a better place for it until
> it stablizes?

Fair point, although copr comes with certain disadvantages from my pov.

- Its a bit undiscoverable to the casual yum/dnf user, you have to
know about it and it seems to me searchable only through the web
interface.

- It fosters fragmentation of the efforts to eventually get something
in Fedora. There is no bugzilla, and there can be multiple conflicting
repos.

Thanks for the feedback.