RFC : in-development flag for packages

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Feb 23 15:13:13 UTC 2015

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 16:54:44 +0200
Yanko Kaneti <yaneti at declera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2015-02-23 at 06:35 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 18:25:59 +0200
> > Yanko Kaneti <yaneti at declera.com> wrote:
> >
> > > This has been brewing in my head for a while so I'll just spill it
> > >
> > > Introduce an "in-development" flag for packages in Fedora.
> > ...snip...
> >
> > IMHO this would just add confusion. If something is so much in
> > development that nothing using it should be shipped to users in
> > stable releases, perhaps copr would be a better place for it until
> > it stablizes?

not only do I agree with Kevin here, but it would also need a massive
amount of work to implement. not only in koji, but in git and pkgdb and
many other areas of the releng process. not saying it can't be done
just that it is a massive undertakinga nd would require people to step
up to do the work.  It is the exact thing that copr's are supposed to
be for and is something we have today. but perhaps we can look at some
kind of integrated bug tracking for copr's it could perhaps double as a
portal that can show whats available and the status of it etc.

> Fair point, although copr comes with certain disadvantages from my
> pov.
>
> - Its a bit undiscoverable to the casual yum/dnf user, you have to
> know about it and it seems to me searchable only through the web
> interface.
If the software is so in development that we shouldn't ship it in a
stable release we likely shouldn't ship it in a development release
also. the software additionally would not be available to the casual
user as they tend to not run rawhide but a stable release where the
software is not available

> - It fosters fragmentation of the efforts to eventually get something
> in Fedora. There is no bugzilla, and there can be multiple
> conflicting repos.

not necessarily, but it would require owners of different copr repos to
communicate and work together, we could potentially do things to make
copr repos more widely known and available.