systemd-219 issues with 22 and Rawhide composes

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Feb 23 15:27:22 UTC 2015

On Mon, 23.02.15 08:17, David Cantrell (dcantrell at redhat.com) wrote:

> > Communication is a two way street, and as an upstream I cannot be in
> > the business of pinging every single downstream about every single
> > change individually, in particular if I consider the change
> > unimportant.
> >
> > To learn about changes upstream, please follow the upstream
> > discussions, thank you.
>
> This still fails.  The expectation here is that downstream consumers know an
> upstream change is coming.  As evidenced by the various bugs mentioned in
> this thread, the result is "surprise, something changed".  So the discovery
> is reactionary rather than coordinated before putting a change in
> rawhide.

Hey, there was no need for Fedora to change the path for
/etc/os-release. It was good that it decided to change, but this was
done without contacting me, and I didn't push for it, I was not
involved at all really, and I cannot read people's minds about it. The
change is nothing that would normally considered an "incompatible
change", it just moved one file from /etc to /usr/lib and replaced it
with a symlink.

Please find something else to complain about. THis particular case
makes a really bad example, since I was hardly involved, it wasn't my
side that was communicating badly, but the folks adding this to
Fedora, and that wasn't me.

> It would be a slightly different story if rawhide's systemd was gated by
> someone doing Fedora integration coordination, but it doesn't appear anyone
> is doing that.  And you say you can't, though I am disappointed with that
> since you sort of kind of already signed up for that work by starting
> systemd and getting it in to Fedora in the first place.  If it's not you
> that coordinates this work, someone who works on and/or maintains the
> systemd package in Fedora should be doing this.  That is, and I am trying to
> be specific here, changes that impact other components in the distribution
> need to be coordinated in Fedora among the affected components.

David, I see how you would like to pin this all on systemd's
supposedly bad communication. But coming back to the /etc/resolv.conf
issue: it really just boils down to the fact that you knew the change
was coming 6 months ago, but instead of making the necessary one-line
fix in your packages, you didn't do anything.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat