systemd-219 issues with 22 and Rawhide composes

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Mon Feb 23 15:56:50 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 23.02.15 08:45, Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> > Hey! Come on. Everything that systemd does is create a symlink for
>> > /etc/resolv.conf if nothing else has created on for that. If something
>> > else created and owned that file, it leaves the thing alone. That's
>> > all. It's very defensively written. Anaconda's file copy routine
>> > tripped up on it though, since it follows symlinks on the destination
>> > (which is a really bad idea, and needs to be fixed).
>>
>> You do not know, and cannot know in advance without testing, how many
>> different systems might manipulate or rely on specific resolv.conf
>> changes.
>
> You know, that systemd creates a symlink if the file is missing is not
> going to change behaviour of anything, since it will only do something
> if the file is *missing*. And it won#t be missing if anaconda copies
> in its stuff as it currently does. I mean, the issue is really about
> this copy routine being broken, and not about systemd having a
> fallback logic to create /etc/resolv.conf if it is missing.
>
> If anaconda's file copy routine would not be confused by symlinks in
> the destination, the issue goes away entirely: it would create its
> file, and systemd's /etc/resolv.conf logic would never touch anything
> anymore.

As a bystander, I'm lost here.

Systemd made a change.  I'm not sure what the change is.

Anaconda is supposedly confused by destination/etc/resolv.conf being a
symlink.  What is anaconda *supposed* to do?  Options seem to include:

1. Do nothing.
2. Delete the symlink and replace it.
3. Follow the symlink, delete the target, and replace it.
4. Follow the symlink and overwrite the target.

Knowing little about what systemd is doing here, I would argue for
(1).  If it's a symlink, then presumably something manages whatever
the symlink points to.

OTOH, this is *anaconda* we're talking about.  Maybe it should do
whatever it needs to do to make the installed Fedora system happy,
whatever that is.

--Andy