systemd-219 issues with 22 and Rawhide composes

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Mon Feb 23 18:44:01 UTC 2015

> Communication is a two way street, and as an upstream I cannot be in
> the business of pinging every single downstream about every single
> change individually, in particular if I consider the change
> unimportant.

Sure, that makes sense.

> To learn about changes upstream, please follow the upstream
> discussions, thank you.

However, this isn’t practical.  The 1619! members of the packager group can’t be following every single upstream mailing list of every single project they depend on or they may be affected by.  That is why we have http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintainer_responsibilities#Notify_others_of_changes_that_may_affect_their_packages , and why we _need_ that policy; it is not a gratuitous bureaucratic nonsense.

Both systemd and Fedora would benefit if this communication were factored out like this, by having a Fedora liaison/“watcher” of systemd¹ that is primarily concerned with needs of Fedora and impact on Fedora.
    Mirek

¹ The Package maintainer responsibilities document places this on the package maintainers; but this would work equally well if anyone else did this, with or without commit rights to the systemd RPM.