Headsup: Xorg is broken in F-22 when used with fips or /etc/system-fips

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 09:42:18 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Debugging this took me ages, so I thought I would share this with you,
with the new gdm on wayland landed in F-22 recently Xorg gets started
as a regular user.

This is a good thing as we want to move to Xorg running as a regular user,
but we're not 100% there yet, so currently Xorg is still suid-root, and
needs those root rights to function properly.

But when fips is enabled either on the kernel commandline or a /etc/system-fips
file exists one of the libraries X is using is dropping the root rights at
early library init and things fail.

So if X is not working for you all of a sudden, make sure you do not have
fips enabled on the kernel commandline, and remove any /etc/system-fips
file you may have.

Regards,

Hans