F22 System Wide Change: Legacy implementations of the Java platform in Fedora

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 15:31:51 UTC 2015

On 02/24/2015 02:17 PM, Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:
>> I would much rather live without any legacy jdk, and if so then without any
>> rules. But not setting
>> them will bring chaos for majority of users.
>
> I have a question: Is there anybody that stepped in to maintain the legacy jdk?
> If there is nobody to maintain it trying to come up with this guidelines now would be pointless.
> In short I think that such guidelines would better be created *only* when there are interested parties, jointly with them and the process is played a bit by some copr repo or similar. Purely theoretical work is not needed.

I fully agree with Alex here.

I would add that if someone really wants to maintain older JDK in Fedora
then it should up to *them* to come up with a solution that will work
and satisfy expectations of JKD maintainers and Java SIG. Maintaining
package is more than clicking "unorphan" in pkgdb.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
Software Engineer, Red Hat