F22 System Wide Change: Legacy implementations of the Java platform in Fedora

Aleksandar Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 09:40:36 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

I would even say that legacy(even any) JVMs should not use the alternatives system at all. I still remember the fun of having kaffe, jamvm, gcj.. with their own priorities, alternatives (java/javac/jar..) going out of sync and etc.  This was a nightmare to support and it was causing more damage than helping. Using legacy JVM should be done using the tools that provide more isolation nowadays like scl to prevent these problems.

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team