F22 System Wide Change: Legacy implementations of the Java platform in Fedora

Jiri Vanek jvanek at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 11:14:53 UTC 2015

On 02/25/2015 10:07 AM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> On 02/25/2015 06:39 AM, Hedayat Vatankhah wrote:
>> However, if there are JAR files which are useful
>> for a developer, they can have a -legacy version too!
>
> There is no technical reason to suffix anything - you can put JARs that
> depend on old version of JDK in /usr/{share,lib}/java-x.y.z, for example
> /usr/share/java-1.7.0/ for JARs that require JDK 7.

The reason for suffix is to be able properly obsolete, and so protect 99% of users from having also
old java installed.

I dont know how to technically solve this without obsolete.  In all other scenarios  manual touch of
user is needed to keep only one (main) jdk.

If you will come with way how to keep 99% of users safe from any legacy jdk  then I wil lbe happy to
abandon -legacy and go with simple orphaning.

*however* legacy have also one advantage - any user - even unskilled - may easily spot that
something in his system is using legacy jdk or (after he typed (yum install java-1.*"  immediately
see that something then just simple opened is installed)

J.