i686 kernel bug priority plan

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 13:50:43 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 08:15 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

<snip>
> This is an opportunity for community members for whom i686 is a
> passion to join the team to participate in the bugfixing required.
> We previously called out the need for assistance[2], but had no
> substantial response. We hope that being transparent about our
> priorities will prompt interested community members to help. If you
> are interested to help, here are some resources to get started:
<snip>

Given our past history with passive requests for help, I think it
might be beneficial to put a time limit on things. For example, if no
i686 Kernel SIG steps up and agrees to handle bugs on that platform,
we should strongly consider demoting i686 to secondary architecture
for installation media at the Fedora 23 branch point (about six months
from now).

Note: I'm only suggesting that we would demote the kernel and install
media, *NOT* the 32-bit runtime libraries on an x86_64 system; we
would still need to be building those.