i686 kernel bug priority plan

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 15:35:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 14:01 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > > This is an opportunity for community members for whom i686 is a
> > > passion to join the team to participate in the bugfixing
> > > required. We previously called out the need for assistance[2],
> > > but had no substantial response. We hope that being transparent
> > > about our priorities will prompt interested community members to
> > > help. If you are interested to help, here are some resources to
> > > get started:
> > <snip>
> >
> > Given our past history with passive requests for help, I think it
> > might be beneficial to put a time limit on things. For example, if
> > no i686 Kernel SIG steps up and agrees to handle bugs on that
> > platform, we should strongly consider demoting i686 to secondary
> > architecture for installation media at the Fedora 23 branch point
> > (about six months from now).
> >
> > Note: I'm only suggesting that we would demote the kernel and
> > install media, *NOT* the 32-bit runtime libraries on an x86_64
> > system; we would still need to be building those.
>
> How do you propose demoting to secondary only the kernel/install
> without the userspace? Do you mean de-emphasise the i686 bit
> platform?

Well, that was more a political and rel-eng statement than a technical
one. Effectively, we'd not build the kernel package or do release-
blocking composes of i686 media. However, the Koji build-system would
still have to be capable of producing i686 builds as a primary
architecture. So yes, from a purely technical standpoint, it's a muddy
statement.