RFC : in-development flag for packages

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 19:16:45 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 20:53 +0200, Yanko Kaneti wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 08:41 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> > > Indeed that was part of my thinking.
> > >
> > > In-development packaging that might never reach maturity is a
> > > fact of life and the idea was for us to embrace it and manage it
> > > in the same place where we manage everything else.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the feedback.
> >
> > I'm somewhat of the opinion that code should never land in Rawhide
> > that isn't stable upstream (or expected to be within that Fedora
> > release cycle). Code that isn't ready and won't be ready in time
> > belongs in a COPR.
>
> I understand the sentiment, but I think it does not benefit the
> project when it comes to Fedora's perception as a leading
> development platform.
>
> Rawhide especially I'd love to see being adopted as a hotbed for
> early prototype and integration work (think: build me a package
> after every upstream commit, in the extreme), even for software that
> eventually might not make it.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.

Rawhide should absolutely be a site for early integration work, but it
really should NOT be a place to dump nightly builds. There are many
people that actually use Rawhide as a day-to-day system and treating
it like a dumping ground is a really bad idea.

The purpose of COPR and upstream build is to do that prototyping work,
in my opinion. The purpose of Rawhide is to do the integration of
something believed to be ready for the next Fedora.