RFC : in-development flag for packages

Yanko Kaneti yaneti at declera.com
Wed Feb 25 19:40:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 14:16 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 20:53 +0200, Yanko Kaneti wrote:

> > > I'm somewhat of the opinion that code should never land in
> > > Rawhide that isn't stable upstream (or expected to be within
> > > that Fedora release cycle). Code that isn't ready and won't be
> > > ready in time belongs in a COPR.
> >
> > I understand the sentiment, but I think it does not benefit the
> > project when it comes to Fedora's perception as a leading
> > development platform.
> >
> > Rawhide especially I'd love to see being adopted as a hotbed for
> > early prototype and integration work (think: build me a package
> > after every upstream commit, in the extreme), even for software
> > that eventually might not make it.
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback.
> >

> Rawhide should absolutely be a site for early integration work, but
> it really should NOT be a place to dump nightly builds. There are
> many people that actually use Rawhide as a day-to-day system and
> treating it like a dumping ground is a really bad idea.

Sure,  I am one of those people, and building often and having it work
are not mutually exclusive. Especially if we can grow some minimal
continuous integration testing for the core platform.
And for the leaf packages, those really should be readily downgradable.

But here I am again asking for something to be done by someone else
preferably, for which I apologize. Just spitballing my rawhide
dreams...