F22 System Wide Change: Legacy implementations of the Java platform in Fedora

Jiri Vanek jvanek at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 08:34:58 UTC 2015

On 02/26/2015 09:16 AM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:

>>> If no volunteer shows up for maintenance of old JDK then it would be
>>> deprecated and obsoleted, as it's was done with previous JDK packages.
>>
>> How would that work _exactly_?
>
> 1) JDK maintainers announce deprecation in advance and call for
> volunteers to maintain old JDK
>
> 2) when the time of deprecation comes, JDK package is reassigned to new
> maintainer, if such showed up; no obsoletes are added

This is heavily untrue. The obsolete (or similar mechanism) is necessary.
We do not wont any user to live unvoulenteerly and unwillingly  with legacy jdk. I would like also
to avoid just keeping the legacy jdk on his drive.
Two reasons
1- the stack will eb compiled by nex (newr) jdk - so old jdk will not be bel tun it.
   - even keeping it on drive may lead to risk of usage it (speaking about basic user here). Not
speaking about vasting of space on drive after several major updates.

2- low mainatainance. The community maintained jdk can never be expected to be so uptodate == so
safe asmain jdk, which is mainatined by openjdk upstream-working people.