Libinput now enabled as default xorg driver for F-22 workstation installs

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 08:49:48 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 24-02-15 18:34, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> As described here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LibinputForXorg
>>
>> We've been working on making xorg-x11-drv-libinput the default input driver
>> for the Xorg xserver under Fedora 22. All the necessary changes for this are
>> in place for the GNOME and KDE desktops. So starting with the next Fedora 22
>> compose new Fedora 22 Workstation installations will be using
>> xorg-x11-drv-libinput instead of the -evdev and -synaptics drivers.
>>
>> For existing installations the move to libinput will not happen
>> automatically, as  we have not added a hard dependency on
>> xorg-x11-drv-libinput so the XFCE, LXDE, etc. spins can keep using the old
>> drivers until they have adopted their mouse/touchpad configuration settings
>> tools to also work with xorg-x11-drv-libinput.
>>
>> If you're running F-22 with GNOME or KDE, please do the following to switch
>> to the new driver:
>>
>> "sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-libinput"
>>
>> And let us know if you experience any issues while using the new driver.
>
> So we'd have two sets of users ... those who upgraded and those how
> reinstalled running different drivers for the same hardware?

Yes, we need to maintain both stacks for a while anyways for e.g. lxde users,
etc. Given that XFCE now supports libinput too, we could reconsider this
and make xorg-drv-libinput a hard dep of the X server so that everyone gets
it, but officially we are past the end of the feature merge window.

Peter, any thoughts on this ?

Regards,

Hans