F22 System Wide Change: Legacy implementations of the Java platform in Fedora

Aleksandar Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 15:12:24 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

Adding exceptions for selected packages is definitively not the way to go.
I would agree with everyone that tries to make Fedora more open in general. Name yours or all of:
* Every packager can sponsor others (thus no sponsor level needed)
* Every packager can commit to every package (thus no proven packager needed)
* Name yours.

But adding exceptions per package whenever someone comes with a usecase is not improving the way the distribution works it just makes it more complicated by adding more and more rules/guidelines/exceptions/etc. so we end up with not a single person knowing what/when/where is allowed.
If somebody tries to open Fedora more and kill bureaucracy I would support him/her thousands of times, but I'll object adding exceptions to the overly complicated bureaucracy we already have. Hope that simplifies why the resistance.

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team