systemd-219 issues with 22 and Rawhide composes

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Feb 26 15:49:05 UTC 2015

Am 26.02.2015 um 16:37 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
> On 02/26/2015 02:10 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> really?
>> why?
>> how do you come to that weird conclusion?
>>
>> surely, one can say "not my package, not my problem" but that's
>> ignorant and needs no guidelines and policies - sanity should be enough
>
> I guess you did not grasp I was referring to the ownership model of
> components in the distribution which are irrelevant to guidelines and
> policy's

i did

> The fact is the distribution has been using the ownership model since
> it's interception which means one to one mapping from a component to an
> individual.
>
> As such the thought process of "I take care of what I own has" been
> breed into maintainers for the past ten years.

and i doubt that this is true in general

every maintainer with responsiblity is or should be aware that his piece
is *part of a distribution* because otherwise he could just build his
package outside for his own

> There have been several cases where the community has explode due to
> "lack of communications" as an result of that with the most notorious of
> those being the Gnome half of the Red Hat's desktop team where more
> often than not they have broken bits for other *DE's that have been
> sharing underlying components in the distribution. ( search this lists
> archives if you need proof of that )

and without the "ownership model" it would have been prevented
what model would you use?
you can't only say "that model is wrong" without any alternative

having everybody mangle every package is also not a solution because you
can't expect the needed knowledge for mangle around in a perl package
from a java-user and so on

> On top of that there are around 15k components in the distribution and
> expecting all maintainers to be able to keep tabs on all packager
> relations ( to their own or in general ) is ignant or expect them to
> does so for a single fedora-release rpm after the distribution has been
> split up again into core ( products ) and extra ( the inferior rest )
> where the inevitale outcome is for those products eventually start
> shipping their own fedora release package...
>
> If the PLL had thought though these thing thoroughly through he would
> have realized that.

that's a completly different topic