systemd-219 issues with 22 and Rawhide composes

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 14:48:01 UTC 2015

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Lennart Poettering
> <mzerqung at 0pointer.de>  wrote:
>> >On Mon, 23.02.15 08:45, Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel at gmail.com) wrote:
> [ notes snipped, ]
>
>> >You know, that systemd creates a symlink if the file is missing is not
>> >going to change behaviour of anything, since it will only do something
>> >if the file is*missing*.
> Congratulations. We now have inconsistent behavior if anyone,*ever*,
> edits /etc/resolf.conf with 'sed -i', uses "rsync -a" or "cp -a" tp
> reproduce it from a known good repository, and with a symlink in place
> we're storing absolutely critical system information in a non /etc
> location, meaning that non-modified backup systems won't get a copy
> with valid content.
>
> Just..... great.

I guess you missed the part that it did nothing if the file existed.

Even after spending what 8 years in Fedora's QA (  longer than any of
their so called hired employee working in that area ) as well as
handling the systemd integration for wide variety of component I was not
even allowed to see RHEL systemd integration bug trackers until in some
case other Red Hat employees ranted over their coworkers how stupid they
were not allowing the guy handling the integration doing so.

I know first hand the state of systemd in Fedora and I have seen the
state it's in RHEL and I know Red Hat did nothing to improve the
situation from what it was in Fedora not even make some of those
implementations "enterprise grade" so regarding the rest of your rant
neither upstream nor Fedora ( despite Red Hat royally abusing it's
community and shape it in it's image ) has any control over any
decisions Red Hat makes about it's RHEL release so use that support
contract you are paying Red Hat for and wreak havoc with them.

Hopefully that havoc from you and from other customers will ring some
wakeup bells with it's managers and get them thinking.

JBG