CLI tools in Gnome Software?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 13:48:51 UTC 2015

On 2 January 2015 at 11:45, Hedayat Vatankhah <hedayat.fwd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I know. And I say that it might be OK for a "GNOME Application", but
> doesn't seem to be OK for Fedora application.

There's no such thing as a "Fedora application".

> It seems that many command line utilities in Security spin can be considered
> applications since security spin provides .desktop files and icons for many
> of them!

No, we ignore any with the ConsoleOnly hint.

> Wikipedia has a page about it, one of the application types you can create
> in Qt Creator is "Qt Console Application", Microsoft Visual Studio also
> provides a "Console Application" type. Yes, none of these are authoritative,
> but I wonder if there is any reference backing your claim.

Okay, lets do a thought experiment. Is a console application anything
that exists in /usr/bin? If not, what additional rules are required
for a "sane" set? Are all files in /usr/bin "applications"?

Richard.