CLI tools in Gnome Software?

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 3 00:51:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-02 at 10:47 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 1 January 2015 at 22:25, Hedayat Vatankhah <hedayat.fwd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > it's just funny that something like gedit and
> > Windows notepad can be considered 'applications' but GCC can't!
>
> We're using this definition here:
> https://github.com/hughsie/appstream-glib#what-is-an-application
>
> > Certainly, the concept of 'console applications' is a widely recognized concept
>
> It's really not.
>
> > Personally, I won't suggest anybody trying GNOME Software as a serious
> > software management application for Fedora
>
> That's fine.
>
> > It doesn't fit my 1024x768 screen which is really annoying
>
> Is this F21? If so, sounds like you need to file a bug upstream.
>
> Richard

My question, then would be what about applications that require input at
startup?  How does this fit with the practice of chainables such as grep
-n temp *| tail -f | tee > foo.txt

The original premise of *nix systems was to have tools that did one
thing and did it well, that could be piped to create complex operations
without writing new code.  Is that to be considered archaic?  You cannot
create windowed applications that can even approach that capability, so
from that view point the system is somewhat crippled.  And as a
developer, I have several utilities that take advantage of the
pipeliining capability to do things that make my life easier.  Windows
makes the programmers job easier, provides a crutch to get people going
on computers, but misses the point of having a tool to create new things
for single uses or very limited uses.

How about one of the most basic developer toolsets, that of diff and
patch?  If you have never used that, you should learn.

There are others, but I generally have them built into scripts and
speaking of scripts, where do they fit in your applications definition?

Just asking.
Regards,
Les H