Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Jan 4 05:50:48 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 December 2014 at 23:31, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> b.) Would it be helpful, friendlier, and better emphasize the special
>> focus, if these group install items mentioned above were exposed in
>> GNOME Software with an appropriate icon?
>
> We could do this right now, although I don't think "expose the entire
> comps tree" makes a lot of sense. We need translations, icons,
> screenshots, and of course approval from the Fedora/GNOME designers.
> Addons would be a logical place for this, although I think it probably
> needs more design thought about how to handle these "non-application"
> metagroupings.

Sounds very reasonable.

Qualifying my position: I'm fairly comfortable with yum/dnf group
installs now, so this isn't a sticking point for me personally. This
really is the Workstation WG's turf to define what kind of UI/UX they
want to have for developers new to the platform. And I'm inclined to
think keeping developers (even CLI dominant ones) away from the
esoterics of platform packaging is a good thing. I don't know if
Software will instinctually be their go to for such a thing, so that's
also a question someone needs to answer.

> Installing a compiler is something that *something*
> needs to handle, I'm just not sure if that should be gnome-software
> itself or something that *uses* gnome-software to do the correct thing
> and to handle updates.

Could maybe be in scope for Fedora dev assistant also.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DevelopersAssistant
"Make the development on Fedora easier for beginners."
"Try to install package containing setup for your favourite language."

--
Chris Murphy