File location

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Jan 4 11:19:27 UTC 2015

On 01/04/2015 10:34 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 3:01 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>> On 01/04/2015 07:41 AM, Anshu Prateek wrote:
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I am working on packaging an upstream (aerospike) which presently puts
>>>    some of its file in /opt/aerospike.
>>>
>>> The two main folders in use (by upstream) are
>>>
>>> /opt/aerospike/sys/udf/lua  - This has the user defined lua functions
>>> shipped with the package.
>>> /opt/aerospike/usr/udf/  - This will have the user's custom UDFs.
>>>
>>> What will be the right place in FHS to put the above two directories
>>> when packaging for Fedora? Should these go into /usr/share/aerospike or
>>> some place in /var?
>
> I think the useful place to put it is to get aerospike to publish
> their SRPM, especially their spec files.
Let me cut a long story short: /opt/<vendor> is the appropriate place
for other SW-vendors to install add-on packages into, but it's an
entirely inappropriate place to for OS-vendors (such as Fedora) to put
their packages into.

Or conversely: It's strictly prohibited for Fedora to install package
into /opt, because this path is reserved for add-on packages.

Ralf