Yet another frustration with Fedora package management

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayat.fwd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 18:33:28 UTC 2015

/*Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>*/ wrote on Sun, 04 Jan 2015
19:19:20 +0100:

> Am 04.01.2015 um 19:13 schrieb Hedayat Vatankhah:
> <...>
> DNF is using "/etc/dnf/dnf.conf" which is one reason more to finally
> rename it back to YUM when it starts to replace it instead demand
> users all over the world change working configs, but that's a
> different topic nobody cares about
>
> if other sofwtare like Packagekit ignore that global options of the
> package manager just file bugreport for them

> for DNF, YUM, Packagekit and what not else?
> surely, the same way hard to just proceed the configuration of
> yum.conf, they all would needed to be changed

I'm fine with using yum.conf if everybody respects it, but I didn't
propose it because:
1) There are some options in yum.conf that DNF/PK doesn't recognize
2) DNF has some specific options in dnf.conf which yum doesn't support
3) PK/GNOME Software have ... well I'm yet to completely discover but at
least they have some options controlled by gsettings! and some in
/etc/PackageKit/ which is completely unique to itself!

So, I thought that maybe every package *likes* to have its specific
settings method; and therefore I proposed to have a global configuration
which configures main package manager policy.

Regards,
Hedayat