Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jan 4 23:46:29 UTC 2015

Gary Scarborough wrote:
> Is workstation being aimed at new users or developers?  And is the goal
> the same for Gnome?  If Gnome is aiming to cater to new users, then is it
> the right primary DE for fedora?  There seems to be a misalignment here.

I've been pointing out that misalignment from day 1. Nobody seems to care.

IMHO, developers are much better served with the KDE Spin:
* Plasma is more configurable and more adapted to the power users that
  developers inevitably are,
* Apper (the package management GUI installed by default on the KDE spin)
  does not hide development packages the way GNOME Software (the package
  management GUI installed by default on the Workstation product) does,
* Qt and kdelibs / KDE Frameworks are a better development platform than
  GTK+ (and yes, I've used both),
* KDevelop is a better IDE than anything GNOME has to offer.

The choice of GNOME as a desktop environment completely contradicts the
claimed target of "developers".

        Kevin Kofler