Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayat.fwd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 03:26:20 UTC 2015

/*Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako at redhat.com>*/ wrote on Sun, 4 Jan 2015
02:55:17 -0500 (EST):

It's great, but it is not address my concerns, because:
1) If its going to be the only method for installing -devel packages, it
should always work: it should be able to install a missing library or
header file (consider a makefile only project). Also, not everybody uses
correct package name in their configure script, some people use
corresponding Debian package name (with a lib prefix and even sometimes
full debian package name: libfoo-dev); so partial/non-exact matching
should be also implemented.

2) More importantly, it doesn't address my main concern at all: what if
I want to create a new project, and I'm looking for a good XML library,
or would like to see what Fedora has to offer in this area? Even if I've
found a great library in Internet, I should create a test in my
configure/cmake checks for that library and see if PK will find it. It
doesn't look like a user friendly way to search for a development
library! It's a workaround around a missing UI.

Looking for development libraries, see their ranking and even reading
user's reviews is all completely useful for a developer, which aligns
perfectly with what Software offers for applications.

Regards,
Hedayat