Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Mon Jan 5 09:04:24 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On 02/01/15 11:42, Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> >> Because as of now, gnome-software just doesn't fit the workstation bill
> >
> > I think you're misunderstanding what most developers do. We probably
> > spend about 10 minutes installing development packages (on the command
> > line) when setting up a new OS instance. I then spend a year or so of
> > installing or removing the odd application, and a few minutes every
> > week applying updates. I don't think GNOME Software is hugely useful
> > for installing low-level developer packages, which is fine. It doesn't
> > mean it's not a useful application.
>
> I don't know if "most" developers works with more or less just one
> toolchain and environment as you describe. At least "some" actually
> works in a lot of projects, with different development packages and
> sometimes also tools.
>
> That said, what about describing  the developer usecase as a project,
> focusing on a user using both GUI and CLI tools?
>
> - Get the sources (if they exist).
> - Install a toolchain, GUI-based or not.
> - Install dependencies: -devel packages, interpreted modules, etc.
> - Install project- or user-specific tools (GUI or not).
> - Keeping the installed sw updated.
>
> Installing the toolchain seems like DevAssistant to me. Besides this, I
> understand your position as if users are supposed to use yum/dnf except
> for GUI development tools and their dependencies (?)

Currently DevAssistant "assistants" (read: plugins) that we have in Fedora are more of "kickstart a new project and install deps along" rather than "install a toolchain and perhaps do some other environment setup". This can however be easily extended by writing different plugins that will do just that.
E.g. I can imagine us having "da prep fedora-dev c" (which will BTW automatically gain a clickable counterpart in GUI) that will setup development environment for C (and similar for other languages). We can even provide some choices like --use-eclipse, --use-whatever-other-IDE, ... I'm willing to put my work into this, but I'm mostly a Python developer, so I'd need input from people working with languages.

Does that sound worth pursuing?

--
Regards,
Slavek Kabrda