Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Mon Jan 5 18:59:54 UTC 2015

(on CLI)
> > and developers deserve a better environment.
>
> No, developers deserve the environment they ask for, not what someone
> else thinks is "better".

There are aspects of the shell that are a matter of pure preference, like syntax coloring.

There are aspects where personal preference or efficiency in the common case may override someone else’s idea of good design, like perhaps the textual programming language that can’t easily enough handle file names with newlines (which aren’t forbidden).

But I feel quite confident in saying that having a debugger with breakpoints and the ability to view variables, instead of (bash -x) and sprinkling around echo statements, is a nowadays a basic expectation and an essential tool for productivity, not a frivolous personal preference.  (And if the response is “use a non-shell language and a powerful editor if you that kind of functionality”, then that just proves my point.)
     Mirek