allowing programs to open ports

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Jan 6 10:24:43 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On 5.1.2015 15:57, Bastien Nocera wrote:

I don't claim to have hard data on this, this is the result of discussions with
my co-workers, Fedora developers that use GNOME, and Fedora users. Evidence of
this is always going to be circumstantial but when I hear of other GNOME developers
that end up using GNOME on Ubuntu with all the problems it brings rather than
deal with SELinux or Fedora's firewall, alarm bells start ringing.

> IMHO solution to this problem is what Stephen Gallagher proposed in other
> part
> of this thread:
> > I'd argue that something similar to the SELinux Troubleshooter would be
> > a useful solution here, if interfaces could be added to support it.

The SELinux Troubleshooter is positively awful UI for anyone that didn't go
read SELinux introductory articles. It's also a bug reporting tool, not an
authorisation request as a (bad) firewall UI would need to be.