Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 17:13:15 UTC 2015

On 06/01/15 17:39, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> - I shouldn't be searching for gcc, gcc-c++, make, etc. as separate
>    promoted to GNOME Software applications; those should be treated as part
>    of a development kit that's installed and updated as a unit, any more than
>    I should be searching for libgweather or libdrm as part of installing a
>    desktop app.

It seems like we could use DevAssistant for this. This would probably
mean creating/polishing more toolchain-oriented separately packaged
plugins as proposed by Bohuslav and some way to make them more visible
as bug filed by Tomas Radej (all in this thread).

> - Even searching for -devel packages implies a "target == host" build
>    sensibility that is relevant mostly to those developing Fedora, and
>    not to most of those developers that I run into on a day-to-day basis
>    (and likely not the developers we're targeting.) They're interested
>    in using mock along with system libraries for RHEL/CentOS, using
>    pip/npm/rubygems, etc.

Indeed. Still, it seems like this boils down to that developers need a
way to install packages, not just applications. Also, to be fair I don't
really see if we could or should package all conceivable CLI-based tools
into DevAssistant plugins, so also here a developer might need to be
able to install packages. And large parts of this thread is about how
this relates to gnome-software.

Another question is of course how things like python-pip and rubygem
fits into the puzzle. But whatever the solution is for this, it's likely
not gnome-software, agreed.

Cheers!

--alec