Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayat.fwd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 17:48:53 UTC 2015

/*Bill Nottingham <notting at splat.cc>*/ wrote on Tue, 6 Jan 2015 11:39:27
-0500:
> <...>
> - Even searching for -devel packages implies a "target == host" build
>    sensibility that is relevant mostly to those developing Fedora, and
>    not to most of those developers that I run into on a day-to-day basis
>    (and likely not the developers we're targeting.) They're interested
>    in using mock along with system libraries for RHEL/CentOS, using
>    pip/npm/rubygems, etc.
So you mean that Fedora target developers are either using dynamic
languages, or they develop native software for RHEL/CentOS?! So you
believe that "target == rhel/centos"? And native software developers for
*modern* distros are not targets? This is really offending. RHEL/CentOS
themselves should mainly target their developers. I guess that most of
the developers you run into are working for RedHat.

Notice that -devel packages are not useful only for developing Fedora. I
work in a company in which everyone else is using Ubuntu, and that is
their target OS for their software. However, I use Fedora and its -devel
packages (unless they doesn't exist or too old), but my code compiles
fine on their Ubuntu too. And it should compile on any other distro
which have packages with comparable versions.  So, Fedora -devel
packages are useful for developing software for any modern distro, but
you want to target specific distributions?!

Regards,
Hedayat