F22 System Wide Change: Fedora 22 Boost 1.58 Uplift

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Jan 7 11:28:00 UTC 2015

= Proposed System Wide Change: Fedora 22 Boost 1.58 Uplift =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/F22Boost158

Change owner(s): Petr Machata <pmachata at redhat.com>

This change brings Boost 1.57.0 or later to Fedora 22. We generally aim to
ship 1.58.0, as that seems likely to make it (hence the Change name), but
1.57.0 is out and available now.

== Detailed Description ==
The aim is to synchronize Fedora with the most recent Boost release. Because
ABI stability is one of explicit Boost non-goals, this entails rebuilding of
all dependent packages. This has also always entailed yours truly assisting
maintainers of client packages in decoding cryptic boostese seen in output
from g++. Such care is to be expected this time around as well.

Boost 1.58 doesn't have firm schedule yet. I don't think there is even a
provisional schedule at this point. We may have to package Boost 1.57 instead.

Here is the Fedora 21 Change [1], should you need it.

== Scope ==
Rebasing Boost has a fairly large impact on Fedora.  For Fedora 20, the scope
was: about 130 packages _must_ be rebuilt due to ABI breakage inherent in
bumping Boost sonames.  There were almost 250 client packages total.  I expect
these numbers to stay in the same ballpark for Fedora 22.

* Proposal owners:
** Build will be done with Boost.Build v2 (which is upstream-sanctioned way of
building Boost)
** Request a "boost" build system tag
** Build boost into that tag
** Post a request for rebuilds to fedora-devel
** Work on rebuilding dependent packages in the tag.
** When most is done, re-tag all the packages to rawhide
** Watch fedora-devel and assist in rebuilding broken Boost clients (by fixing
the client, or Boost).

* Other developers: Those who depend on Boost DSO's will have to rebuild their
packages.  Feature owners will alleviate some of this work as indicated above,
and will assist those whose packages fail to build in debugging them.

* Release engineering: Side tag creation.
* Policies and guidelines: Apart from scope, this is business as usual, so no
policies, no guidelines.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/F21Boost156