Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Bill Nottingham notting at splat.cc
Wed Jan 7 15:56:31 UTC 2015

Hedayat Vatankhah (hedayat.fwd at gmail.com) said:

> /*Bill Nottingham <notting at splat.cc>*/ wrote on Tue, 6 Jan 2015 11:39:27
> -0500:
> ><...>
> >- Even searching for -devel packages implies a "target == host" build
> >   sensibility that is relevant mostly to those developing Fedora, and
> >   not to most of those developers that I run into on a day-to-day basis
> >   (and likely not the developers we're targeting.) They're interested
> >   in using mock along with system libraries for RHEL/CentOS, using
> >   pip/npm/rubygems, etc.
>
> So you mean that Fedora target developers are either using dynamic
> languages, or they develop native software for RHEL/CentOS?! So you believe
> that "target == rhel/centos"? And native software developers for *modern*
> distros are not targets? This is really offending. RHEL/CentOS themselves
> should mainly target their developers. I guess that most of the developers
> you run into are working for RedHat.

... Not at Red Hat now, but what I'm saying is that the developers I
interact with are targeting mainly Ubuntu LTS and CentOS/RHEL, even if their
devel platform is Fedora.  It goes back to uses of Fedora in production -
while Fedora Server certainly wants to change this, most all of the
*deployed* server systems that people are targeting for their code aren't
Fedora.  Once you assume that you want to support the use case of developers
using Fedora to develop for things that aren't Fedora, I just feel
that worrying about a package tool for installing -devel packages pales in
trying to streamline the workflows the developers needs around using things
like mock and jenkins as build tools, and test environments that aren't even
local to the machine at all, whether they involve virtualization,
containers, or remote cloud services.

Bill