iax -> iaxclient-libiax

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 08:06:46 UTC 2015

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 19:14:00 +0100, Sandro Mani wrote:

> So what I'm planning to do is to retire the iax package in Fedora, and
> have add to the iaxclient package the subpackages -libiax and
> -libiax-devel, containing the iaxclient bundled libiax2, with appropriate
>
> Obsoletes:   iax < 0.2.3
> Provides:    iax = 0.2.3
>
> Obsoletes:    iax-devel < 0.2.3
> Provides:     iax-devel = 0.2.3
>
> (Question at this point: is it legal to provide a version which is not
> the package version?)

Yes.

Especially for virtual packages. That version could be anything, even
an API version different from the software release version.

Note, though, that the Provides won't meet the requirement of any
arch-specific deps, such as  "Requires: iax-devel%{?_isa} >= 0.2.3"

You probably want anyone to "Requires: iaxclient-libiax-devel%{?_isa} ..."
instead in the future. Keeping alife the "iax-devel" name is not a good
idea if there is no arch-specific counter-part.

Whether splitting of subpackages for libiax makes sense depends on the
dependencies within iaxclient. It would not be the first package where
somebody splits off things into subpackage-madness without the extra
packages not being optional.