Removing (or trying to) BerkeleyDB from Fedora

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Jan 8 14:26:35 UTC 2015

On 08/01/15 13:56, Jan Staněk wrote:

> However, as I have only very hazy ideas on how some of the dependent
> packages are used or why they need libdb, I would like to ask for
> cooperation, ideally from the package maintainers themselves. The
> information on how to remove dependency, what would need to be done in
> addition to removing the dependency, or why it is a bad idea to try
> drop the dependency are all valuable.

As much as much as I would love for the horror that is BDB to die I
really don't think it's going to be possible...

Your list is probably hiding lots of things, because it includes various
language bindings (perl-BDB, python3-bsddb3 etc) so you also need to
check what is using those.

An obvious example is gramps, which uses python3-bsddb3 and upstream
has, unfortunately, no concrete plans to move to anything other than BDB
for the database. They're not quite as opposed as they were and there is
some talk of moving to sqlite but it's not going to happen any time soon.

That's just one example - there are almost certainly lots more.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/