F22 System Wide Change: Set sshd(8) PermitRootLogin=no

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 16:10:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-01-08 at 08:43 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> In the Server case, nearly every deployment is headless. Disabling root
> login to ssh by default would mean that many people would have no way to
> get into the system at all. (Yes, we could force the creation of a
> non-root user at install time, but this user would by necessity be an
> administrator capable of becoming root via sudo, so the distinction
> is... fuzzy).

It might be fuzzy but I don't think it's meaningless.  Consider ssh's
X11 forwarding.  Prior to CVE-2013-19{81,97} libX11 had bugs where it
would trust the server's replies to be correctly formatted, which meant
the _server_ could exploit the _client_.  Since in X the server is the
display, this means if I can commandeer the user session then I can
exploit the machine being ssh'd _to_.

Cisco routers don't log you in directly to enable mode, even if there's
no password.  OSX runs your session as a user even though it gives you
sudo by default.  What's so different about Fedora Server that we should
ignore common best practice?

> The only other approach I could see for the headless
> servers would be mandating the enrollment in an identity domain at
> installation time (such as to FreeIPA or Active Directory).

And in this scenario we should absolutely disable PermitRootLogin.

- ajax