F22 System Wide Change: Harden all packages with position-independent code

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 8 19:25:36 UTC 2015

Am 08.01.2015 um 19:45 schrieb Miloslav Trmač:
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: Harden all packages with position-independent
>> code =
>>
>> Harden all packages with position-independent code to limit the damage from
>> certain security vulnerabilities.
>
> So this proposal is for _all_ architectures, including the register-starved 32-bit i?86 where the overhead is, IIRC, around 10%.  I am by now quite convinced that x86_64 should be using PIE by default.  As for 32-bit, I’m torn between “this is too much overhead” and “32-bit isn’t worth the worry, let’s instead make the defaults consistent.”

probably not worth the worry, new machines are x86_64 mostly, keep in
mind RHEL7 dropped i686 at all

even if they are still used - 10% sounds much *but* such old machines
mostly have a special task and are far away from noticeable load and it
really depends on the workload if you even notice 20% performance drop

at least i doubt there is a noticeable userbase with i686 running Fedora
at all *and* would notice the drop noticeable