F22 System Wide Change: Set sshd(8) PermitRootLogin=no

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 8 22:19:04 UTC 2015

Am 08.01.2015 um 21:34 schrieb Stephen John Smoogen:
> In most of the cases, we end up requiring someone to go to the system
> physically and doing some initial work if we run into any of 0-3. Of
> course that works great if you have a physical server. We virtualize
> most of our servers which ends up with even more weird problems of
> trying to get working

than you do something wrong

especially om virtualized systems remote management is far easier
because you have *one* remote console and if it is regular tested and
all clients have the needed access you reach 100,1000,10000 virtual
servers without any exception

but back to topic: yes it is *way* too optimistic assume KVM or similar
everywhere - for a small business you typically have a *server* as
router/firewall *because* you want to avoid the security problems of
make crap without regular updates directly reachable from the internet
and that includes:

* SOHO routers
* KVM devices
* any embedded device
* VMware consoles

so guess what there is running: a ordinary Linux setup (in my case)
Fedora and the only way to access some of them hundrets of kilometers
away is just SSH