F22 System Wide Change: Set sshd(8) PermitRootLogin=no

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 8 23:09:50 UTC 2015

Am 08.01.2015 um 23:54 schrieb Stephen John Smoogen:
> On 8 January 2015 at 15:19, Reindl Harald wrote:
>

>     Am 08.01.2015 um 21:34 schrieb Stephen John Smoogen:
>
>         In most of the cases, we end up requiring someone to go to the
>         system
>         physically and doing some initial work if we run into any of 0-3. Of
>         course that works great if you have a physical server. We virtualize
>         most of our servers which ends up with even more weird problems of
>         trying to get working
>
>     than you do something wrong
>
> Of course I do Harald. Very few of us are perfect. Thank you for
> reminding me of my failures. It has made me a better person.

i ignore the cynicism :-)

>     especially om virtualized systems remote management is far easier
>     because you have *one* remote console and if it is regular tested
>     and all clients have the needed access you reach 100,1000,10000
>     virtual servers without any exception
>

> Another thread, but it would be useful if you explained how this is
> accomplished.

in my "serious" environments which are all virtualized it is simple:

  * a central VMware vCenter Server for the HA cluster
  * that thing is sadly a windows machine, don't matter
    because it's only purpose is to run a RDP session
    and all day long the VMware client connected to the
    vCenter
  * for sure you can achieve the same with pure open-source

well, and if it comes to connections:

* normally VPN over one of the guests
* as fallback SSH-Forwarding to 3389 from one of the guests
   dedicated for that and on a different host another guest
   which is allowed to connect to the admin machine on 3389
* if you once get a RDP connection wether via VPN or fallback
   to SSH forwarding you have a single management interface to
   watch and maintain the cluster including a virtual console
   to each VM with a single klick
* the virtual console is from the view of the guest the same
   as if you would sit in front of it - enter root-pwd and
   you are in a from the guests from local terminal
* there is even a Linux based vCenter server running itself on
   top of the HA cluster and so have also failover, not sure
   about the client access just because the current admin server
   is running since summer 2008 up-to-date and unchanged

finally the only thing i need to take care of is having the same
hypervisor versions on the bare metal hosts, if a host goes down
the guests are started from a available one like after a power outage

if the host get unreachable over the network the hosts are configured to
issue a clean shutdown command on the guests because the bare metal
hypervisor will start them within a few minutes on a remaining host

well, as said, you can for sure achieve the same with pure open source
but since i have to maintain all the stuff practically alone i prefer a
froma trusted local vendor supported solution for virtualization,
hardware and shared storage