F22 System Wide Change: Set sshd(8) PermitRootLogin=no

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Fri Jan 9 14:14:24 UTC 2015

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015, DJ Delorie wrote:

>>> So if we truly want to address this feature, we should also disallow
>>> non-root user password based ssh logins.
>>
>> Do I get this right? You want to disallow any remote logins (which
>> nowadays means using ssh)?
>
> No, he means that ssh connections should require a pre-shared key.

Actually, i meant keypair based authentication with ssh using
authorized_keys (which are NOT preshared keys - it is public key
authentication)

> My systems are set up that way, you can't just ssh in from anywhere, you
> can only ssh in from machines that have your private key.  If you try
> to log in without a pre-shared key, it won't prompt you for your unix
> password, it will just fail.

If your public key authentication fails, it still prompts you for a
password but even if you have set a password it will reject it. This is
to prevent leaking configuration information (eg to avoid telling
attackers whether or not password based logins are allowed in the
machine)

Paul