F22 System Wide Change: Harden all packages with position-independent code

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Fri Jan 9 17:18:24 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 06:01:14PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> I don't want to go the road where press articles say a specific bug
> in software XYZ available for Linux, BSD and OSX would have only on
> Fedora not been mitigated because we still discuss over performance
> impacts while others already went ahead
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations
> First represents our commitment to innovation
>
> I would welcome Fedora be first in things like this topic instead as
> often in the past replace already working things with unfinished
> alpha quality and need 3 follow-up releases to get back from where
> it came and praise "new things" which are in fact regression-fixes
> and features which where there before the replacements

Agreed. Too much time has been wasted on pointless discussion over this.
Let's enable this, rebuild packages, and if there are regressions
- either change to non-pie for specific packages
- or revert the change.

Microbenchmarks get us only so far, we need to know the impact the
change makes for the whole system. We won't know that until enough
packages have been rebuilt.

Zbyszek