Unpackaged files checking - oddities

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jan 10 15:51:19 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 13:04:27 +0100,
  Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 00:27:15 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
>> If a file is covered by %exclude in the main package, but is not included
>> in any subpackage, it will not trigger a build failure.
>
>%exclude is global per spec file, or else you would need to %exclude
>a file in _all_ subpackages (in the case when deleting it in %install
>would be more convenient anyway). That would cause some pain in some
>packages.

That's interesting. I wouldn't have expected that either. My guess would have
been that %excludes would have been developed specifically for making it
convenient to exclude a directory in the main package that needs to be owned
by a subpackage.

Thanks for the explanations of why things are the way they are. It is still
surprising though.