F22 System Wide Change: Harden all packages with position-independent code

Francisco Alonso rs at revskills.cz
Sat Jan 10 16:21:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've been testing in advance to make mass rebuilds changing macros and the
results are pretty good (I mean x86_64 f20, f21 + grsecurity custom
kernels). It is clear that we will find regressions, we just have to start
and test it.. It is an important and necessary change.

If anyone is interested would be important to look at uClibc and musl
(Alpine Linux is based in this one).
http://www.etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html

Note that other distributions are doing an excellent job in hardened
profiles like Gentoo or more actual OpenSuSe Gardened:

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_musl
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_uClibc
https://github.com/kdave/openSUSE-gardened/wiki/openSUSE-gardened

We have to work on mitigation rather than patching and trust not
responsible maintainers for some packages. This includes thinking seriously
about  to have a kernel with grsecurity patches.

Cheers,

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> not

> times.
> >>
> >> Can we throw prelink out as well when we do this?
> >

> > Prelink is already gone. We haven't been running it since F19, IIRC.
>
> It's not completely gone, there's still a number of packages that run
> it as part of the install or build process because I've had to fix
> ppc64le/aarchh64 package builds because we don't have it at all on
> those platforms. I think we also ship it by default.
>
> Peter
> --

Francisco Alonso.
http://twitter.com/revskills