curve25519 [was: OpenSSL missing NIST p224r1]

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at redhat.com
Sat Jan 10 19:36:55 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> I surprised that tor supports any of the NIST curves given questions about
> how they were developed and that 25519 is available as an alternative.

It was never an alternative to the NIST curves because it was never part
of any standard, and doesn't support key exchange and signing as the NIST
curves do. We are getting there though (at least with standardization).
I believe there are efforts to bring that curve into TLS and there already
is an openssh extension for it.

regards,
Nikos