F22 System Wide Change: Set sshd(8) PermitRootLogin=no

P J P pj.pandit at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jan 12 08:56:21 UTC 2015

  Hello,

> On Sunday, 11 January 2015 2:27 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> Earlier in the discussions I was told that this is not really an issue: in
>>> production, about every server with remote access also has a KVM.
>>
>> Often not the case in small business or third party hosted environments.
>> Without remote ssh, box is unmanageable.
>>
>> Even if you want to do key-based authentication rather than password, you
>> still need to use password initially to get the key onto the remote box.
>
> If you use cloud-init you can specify an initial public key that it
> inserts against, or even auto enrol it in a central auth system like
> IPA and hence not ever need a password.

  So, the major issue(or blocker should we say?) is the virtualized deployments. If there is no solution in sight, maybe last resort is to enable remote root login, possibly in the '%post' install section of the kick-start file.

Does it seem like an appropriate solution?
---
Regards
   -Prasad
http://feedmug.com