F22 System Wide Change: Harden all packages with position-independent code

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 20:37:42 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> Does this proposal apply to native non-C/C++ programs?

As written, it seems to intend so.  In practice, it would probably apply or not depending on whether the non-C/C++ programs’ builds are affected by _hardened_build.

Ideally, I think this should apply to all languages that don’t ensure memory safety, and not to those that do ensure it.¹  (There is also the edge case of safe languages with explicit “unsafe” blocks, I guess these should default into the “safe” category?)
     Mirek

¹ This should not be much of an issue for processes that mix components written in multiple languages because the dynamically loaded libraries / modules have to already by position-independent; we are only discussing the main executable.