Remove gcc, gcc-c++ and make from minimal build root

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 16:54:03 UTC 2015

Dne 13.1.2015 v 17:42 Ralf Corsepius napsal(a):
> On 01/13/2015 12:06 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>> Dne 13.1.2015 v 08:12 Ralf Corsepius napsal(a):
>>
>> So we are even not able to tell how many packages are written in C or
>> C++ in Fedora, since we do not have the BuildRequires speficied
>> correctly.
> Correct.
>
>> Because we have still the false feeling that everything is in
>> C/C++, we regularly doing mass rebuilds and wasting resources (mass
>> rebuild has also different advantages, but the rebuild due to rebased
>> GCC is the major one).
> There are other reasons for mass-rebuilds. Most prominently: Changes
> inside of rpm and rpm-macros.
>
>> So lets try to find what is written in C/C++ by some different way. Is
>> that true, that every package in C/C++ compiled using gcc depends on
>> glibc? Then we can use this query to get the number of packages:
>>
>> $ repoquery --source --whatrequires 'libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)(64bit)' | sort
>> | uniq | wc -l
>> 2834
>
> Well, ... any explanation why this figure differs significantly

There are probably other reasons for the package to be arch dependent.
First which comes to my mind is that somebody forgot to specify
BuildArch: noarch.

> from this brute force estimate [1]:
> # rpm -q --qf "%{SOURCERPM}\n" \
>  -p rawhide/i386/os/Packages/*/*.i686.rpm 2>/dev/null | sort -u | wc -l
> 7706

Otherwise interesting number. I'd say this is top estimate of number of
affected packages, since it probably suffers the same issue as mine
query, i.e. there are the same source packages, with different versions,
hence they are not filtered out as duplicates.

Vít